Hydro Power, Dams and Ground Water
- Feasibility study for 360 MW Abbasian Hydroelectric Project, Azad Jammu & Kashmir. This project included topographic surveys, layout studies, hydrological studies, hydropower studies, geo-logical & geo-technical investigations, environment impact assessments, selection of equipment, cost & financial modeling, tariff structuring.
- Preparation of feasibility study, detailed engineering design, tender drawings and documents for the Kurram Tangi Dam Project in North Waziristan. The project comprises of a dam along with appurtenant works for irrigation and hydropower purpose. The dam project comprises the dam, spillways, the weir, link canal, head regulator, canals, power tunnel and powerhouse of about 58 MW. This project is being carried out in joint venture with Pakistan Engineering Services (PES), MM Pakistan, Progressive Consultants (Pvt.) Ltd., Khyber Consulting Engineers in association with Coyne ET Bellier, France. The proposed 340-feet high dam is to be located across Kurram River in North Waziristan Agency, about 22-km upstream of Kurram Garhi Headworks and 32-km north of Bannu City in NWFP. The project reservoir with a live storage of 830,000 acres fee will help agriculture development of 84,500 acres in thal area Shertala and Spara Rogh plains supplementing existing system of 215,000 acres under Civil and Marwat canals. The project power station will house three unit to generate 58 MW of hydel energy.
- Construction Supervision of Moto Shah Small Dam Mohmand Agency FATA in association with Engineering & Technical Associates and SAK Associates
- Design review and construction supervision of Satpara Dam Project, Sakardo town in the Northern area of Pakistan. This project is being carried out in joint venture with Pakistan Engineering Services (PES), MM Pakistan, Mirza Associate Engineering Services, Zaheer-ud-din Consultants (Pvt.) Ltd., Technica International.
- Feasibility study for re-modeling of existing unlined Irrigation canals of LCC and LJC systems as lined channels. The canals are located in saline groundwater areas of Punjab and study was performed jointly with Khyber Consulting Engineers, Peshawar. Work involved detailed field survey of all the selected channels to identify the current situation and estimation of quantities.
- Design and construction supervision of river protection works for Jehlum River Water Works near Pind Dadan Khan. The river was eroding the banks and endangering the groundwater pumping wells field established for the Soda Ash Plant, Khewra. Stone dikes were designed and constructed to divert the river erosion away from the banks.
- Enhancements of water supply from the existing well field at Jehlum River Water Works, Pind Dadan Khan. The study was carried-out to increase the water supply to Soda Ash Plant at Khewra. Different alternatives were reviewed and new design of abstraction wells in conjunction with fresh water Injection wells was suggested to avoid up coning of saline water.
- Hydrological analysis of rivers & streams flowing across Regi-Lalma Housing Project, Peshawar. Calculated peak runoffs and corresponding scour depths for the streams for the design of road bridges.
- Design and construction supervision of sewer pipeline for a housing project near Kahna Nau, Ferozpur road, Lahore for a Private Developer. 1998
- Hydrological analysis of Kurram River at Dara Tang for Irrigation Scheme at Isa Khel. Detailed hydrological analyses were performed to determine the quantum of available flow and scour depth for siting the diversion weir. A simulation model for the complex water distribution network upstream of the site was developed.
- Evaluation of damages and design of rehabilitation measures for 16-km long pipeline conveying water from Watli Springs to ICI Soda Ash Plant Khewra. The pipeline was severally damaged by the landslides and floods in the area. The work involved coordination of field investigations, evaluation of damages and design of restoration works including slope stabilization and river training works.
- Project Consultant for the planning, designing and construction of five tailing dams known as Lime Beds, including design review and raising of an old 60 ft high tailing dam for ICI Soda Ash plant at Khewra. The lime beds are being built in phases to create a total storage space of about 10 million m3 for the disposal of industrial waste produced by the plant. Work involved: geo-technical field investigations and topographic survey works, analyses of the embankments and modification of the original design, preparation of detailed layout plans and construction drawings based on the centerline method of embankment-raising including design of river training works and construction supervision.
- Project Consultant for the planning, design and construction of High Efficiency Salt Dissolving Basins for Soda Ash Plant at Khewra. Work involved planning, design and construction supervision of 3 high efficiency salt dissolving units including primary and secondary circulation systems.
- Feasibility study for Maira Irrigation Project, Kohistan. Study was carried out jointly with Khyber Consulting Engineers to design a 38-km long contour channel passing through treacherous mountainous terrain to irrigate nearly 4000 acres of agricultural land located around the village Maira including design of a large number of cross-drainage & control structures. Work involved detailed hydrological studies of Khan Khwar for flow duration analysis to locate a diversion weir, design of diversion structure, cross drainage structures and canal distribution system, social and environmental impact assessment, and financial analysis.
- Design review of spillway for Gandially dam project, NWFP. Study was carried out jointly with Khyber Consulting Engineers to review the design of spillway and hydrologic studies of the under construction dam project. Analyzed the hydrological & hydraulic design of the spillway and energy dissipation arrangements and suggested modifications in the original design to improve the overall safety of the structure.
- Design of flood protection works for 5-km long reach of Soan River upstream of Rawalpindi Bridge. Detailed hydrologic modeling and hydraulic analysis were carried out to determine the catchment characteristics including peak floods for 50 and 100 year return periods. HEC2 model was used to simulate the flood flows through the river reach.
- Field investigations for Tailing Dams. Extensive field investigation and laboratory testing were carried out to determine the water and soil characteristics required for the planning and design of lime bed and bridge at ICI Soda Ash Business, Khewra. More than 200 ft of drilling through rotary and auger methods with all necessary field tests was performed including test pits for the collection of disturbed and undisturbed soil sample and water samples for laboratory testing.
- Project Consultant for planning design and construction of a two stage 350 ft long and 70 ft high steel truss DBO River crossing bridge for ICI Soda Ash Business, Khewra. Work involved: planning and supervision of topographic survey, field investigations including collection and testing of water sampling, geo-technical investigations including boring/drilling and collection of soil samples and analysis for foundation design. Developed layout plans estimated design flood for the bridge and corresponding scour depth, prepared design and construction drawings including supervision of construction works.
- Design of the Irrigation canals, structures review of water allowance, cropping patterns, type of structures, sizing of structure, quantity estimates etc. for Bid Preparation of Gomal Zam Dam Project for DESCON Engineering.